Anyone who has know me for some time knows that I don’t have great skin. It’s not terrible, but definitely not what I would consider good. As of recent though, my skin has finally started to clear up. It’s such a relief to think that people can see you, and not your zits!
In college, I tried everything to try and clear up my skin. I was so desperate for something that would actually work.Being in the water everyday as an athlete, made makeup impossible. The last thing you had time for was to put on concealer! (I normally just hoped I dried off well enough to put clothes on!)
The hard thing with skincare is that different things work for everybody. It doesn’t help that a lot of the “good stuff” is really expensive. I know that I’ve probably spent a small fortune on skincare products and makeup, trying to help my acne. Also, why can’t we be like the Brits 🇬🇧 and call them spots? It sounds so much nicer than zits, so from here on out thats what we shall call them (haha).
I genuinely hope the the next few products I talk about can help your skin. Or in the least give you a jumpstart on finding the best product for you. The best part? Not a single one of them are over twenty dollars! Many of these are K-beauty brands (or skincare products from Korea). They contain new and natural ingredients that many American brands are just now starting to incorporate (for a pretty penny of course💰). So without further ado:
Products to start clearing up your skin NOW
- CosRX Salicylic Acid Exfoliating Cleanser ($10) – In my opinion clear skin always starts with a good face wash. I absolutely love this one, they recently revamped it and it smells clean and lemony now. Also it’s very creamy so a little goes a long way, and it lathers really well too. I usually wash my face with it, and let it sit while I brush my teeth at night, then rinse. Because this cleanser is a little stronger I like to use it only at night and in the morning use a gentle cleanser.
- SkinFood Black Sugar Wash-off Mask ($10 at Ulta) – This stuff seriously smells heavenly. I’ve found that scrubbing my face twice a week seems to help keep smaller spots at bay, and give my skin a healthy glow. Also, it’s just kind of a treat and makes my skin feel super smooth.
- CosRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid ($15) – This product is a step that I had never heard of before, until I started becoming interested in K-beauty (they really do have the best skin!). It’s called an “essence”, and it’s kind of like a shot of nutrients for your skin. Between this product and the next I swear what spots I do get heal so much faster. (Sorry no picture, I need to rebuy!)
- MIZON Snail Recovery Gel Cream ($9.99 for the two pack)– If there’s on product to get from all these, I recommend it be this one. This stuff works wonders for my skin. It clears up spots fast, it evens out skin tone, helps reduce redness and moisturizes. This product, is one of the ones with a new ingredient. Don’t let it turn you off though, because it has some amazing healing properties. It’s cheap, so there’s no harm in just trying it, if you don’t like it I’ll take it over here please. 🙋🏼
- MISSHA Speedy Solution Anti trouble patch ($7 for 96 patches) – I don’t know about you guys but I like to pop at my zits..I know, I know, you aren’t supposed to…but I just can’t help it. Trouble patches to the rescue! These are essentially medicated clear bandages. I get cystic acne around that time of month, and I just place one of these on there for a few nights and BOOM! Either it’s basically gone, or there’s a head and you can pop it. It works for other types of acne as well. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve peeled off the sticker in the morning and thought no way that’s already ready! This brand is definitely the most bang for your buck, and I actually liked them a lot more than the CosRX ones everyone seems to rave about. Long story short, this type of product works and you should try it.
- St. Ives Timeless Skin Collagen Elastin Moisturizer ($5 at Walmart) – Lastly, moisturize! I made the mistake of thinking that my skin was already too oily so therefor I didn’t need lotion. I was so wrong! It works the opposite. If I give my skin moisture, it makes less itself, which equals less oil, which equals less flare ups. This one is simple, smells good, is a HUGE jar (it’s going to last me forever) and doesn’t cost much at all. (Oh and Amber (the Barefoot Blonde) uses it, which was good enough for me 😂)
These are a few staples that have made a huge difference over the past few months for me. I can now go to the gym (sometimes) without even looking in the mirror. I never thought I would be able to do that.
It’s really easy to become self-conscious about your outward appearance (something I still struggle with every single day), but I hope you always remember that the One who made you thinks that you are beautiful!
These products above are just shoe shine, you’ve got the soul! 😘
xoxo, the blonde