Ah home sweet home! There’s no place like it! And lucky for me, I get to call Colorado home. Rocky Mountains, no humidity and downtown Denver? Does it get any better?! Sadly, I only get home two or three times a year, so when I do go home I make sure to do my favorite things. I got to see my dad for the first time since Christmas, and my boyfriend tagged along this year so I couldn’t have been happier.
My Favorite Place on Earth
Hanging Lake, Glenwood Springs
Just look at that water! Coming around the corner and seeing this view for the first time is like stepping into another world. I want to do this hike every time I go home. There’s a lot of beautiful hikes in Colorado, but this one always wins the family vote. There’s a walkway and benches at the top so it’s a good place to sit and rest before heading back down. The hike up only takes about an hour, but it does gain a mile of elevation and has quite a few stairs, so just be prepared for a little leg burn!
^Right before you get to the top there’s a lookout over the canyon that I highly suggest you take a moment to just look at. I would say it’s a good place to catch your breath but the view is breathtaking. 😉
Most of the hike is in the shade, which is nice because it doesn’t get too hot. It’s also important to note that because of the cliffs, stairs and traffic, dogs are NOT allowed on the hike. We made the mistake of bringing Coop 🐶 and my dad had to stay behind and walk him.
It is a little bit of a drive out of town but it’s worth every minute in my opinion.
Here Fishy, Fishy 🐟
While I was home we also went fly fishing in Sedona. None of us had been before so we hired a guide and rented gear. Because I’m a dork, all I could think of all day was the Brad Paisley song about fishing! (well I’m gonna miss her…🎶)
A few things to know when fly fishing for the first time:
- A half day is probably enough. Unless you really love that fishin’ life, four hours in the morning is enough to satisfy your fishing dreams.
- The water is cold! We went in July and the Platte River was chilllllly. Because of this, I recommend you wear leggings or pants under your waders.
- Kinda similar to number two, don’t wear ankle socks. I recommend sweat wicking, mid-calf socks. There’s a lot going on down by your ankles, between your boots and waders, it makes it easier to not have to worry about your socks falling down.
- I wore a t-shirt with a button up over it and was perfect. It’s a little cooler when you’re in the water so long sleeves are a good idea. I would avoid a heavy sweatshirt or anything like that, because if it gets wet it could take a long time to dry…which equals cold.
- My dad and I got burned…both literally and figuratively! Wear sunscreen! We did put sunscreen on our face and necks, but totally forgot about our head! My head got so burnt where my part was. It was terrible! It was so itchy and then it started to peel, not a good look at all.
- Wear some good sunglasses. I wore some cheap ones because I was afraid of losing them in the river. What I didn’t think about was that you’re staring at the water, and the sun is reflecting off it. That can damage your eyes (I know it seems obvious now 😩). My eyes were so tired and achy that evening, so make sure to wear some good glasses!
Overall it was a great experience and I plan to do it when I go home again next summer! As for the totals of the day: I caught two fish and at least five branches 🌿 😏
Coors (Field), Cold as the Rockies 🗻
It was so nice to just chill during the day after a few days of activities! We were kind of exhausted and needed some time to recharge before the baseball game that night.
We had seats to the game up in the nose bleeds, which ended up being really nice because we were covered when it rained for a few minutes! Up there you could also see the Rockies is the background. With the sun setting, it was absolutely stunning.
Final consensus of this post? Colorado is beautiful and has a little something for everyone. It’s worth a trip at least once in your lifetime!
Hopefully this gave you some good ideas about what to do if you do visit! You can set your expectations pretty high for this state…a mile actually 😘
xoxo, the blonde
God saw all that He created, and it was good