Happy Thursday! And happy fall! It’s funny even though it’s October here it still feels like July! We’ve had a few cool days but it’s still so stinkin’ hot. I need it to cool down because sweatshirts will forever be my favorite clothes!
Anyways, onto the actual subject of this post…my favorite thing, FOOD! Today I’m talking snacks, and healthy ones too. Unfortunately, those sweet sugary snacks don’t leave you full or give you energy for very long. So, when I started working 12-hour shifts I had to do a little nutrition makeover. I needed quick, easy to eat, filling and yummy snacks. Below I’ve listed eight that made the cut!
1. Hard Boiled Eggs 🐓
- These are an easy one and there are tons of tutorials on how to make them. I find the easiest way to make them is by placing them in a pot and filling with water until all eggs are completely covered. Next, heat the pot until the water boils. Remove the pot from the stove and let cool for 10 minutes (this is when the eggs cook). After 10 minutes I add some ice cubes to the pot to help cool even more. The colder you get the water, the thinner the shells, thence making them easier to peel. And that’s it! You’re done! You can peel them ahead of time, or for easy packing just leave them as they are. I like to eat mine with salt and pepper, or Trader Joe’s Everything But the Bagel seasoning (this product really deserves a post all it’s own…sooooo yummy).
2. Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- You know those bananas 🍌 chilling in the corner that are starting to look kinda brown? DON’T throw them away! Make these healthy cookies instead! I’ll link the post here with the recipe. I added two scoops of chocolate protein powder (and a few chocolate chips…#noregrets) into mine to help make them a little more filling. These were amazing and a great snack and treat all in one!
- I may try to add some Fall/Pumpkin Spice 🍂 flavors into mine next time I make them. If they’re any good, I’ll let you know, so stayed tuned if that sounds like something you’d like!
3. Tuna packets
- These have been lifesavers. I just leave some of these packets in my lunchbox because they don’t take up any space, and are a great food to have on hand. I had never really bought into the whole tuna thing until I found these. The flavors are amazing, I personally like the Spicy Thai and Sweet and Spicy kinds but they have a lot. Apparently the Buffalo Hot Sauce flavor is really good if you’re into that kind of thing. I’ve shown a few people at work these and now they’re converted as well! Most packs have at least 14g of protein and are less than 150 calories, 1-2g of carbs and 1g of sugar. Talk about a nutrition powerhouse! Recently, I started cutting bell peppers in half and stuffing them with the tuna, but they’re also good with crackers or just straight out of the bag!
- This is a kind of obvious one, but I take it to work almost everyday so I had to put it on here. I get the single serving Kettle corn bags and just throw it in my lunch, like the tuna it takes up very little space. Popcorn is a good option because it has a good amount of fiber, is low in carbs and calories, and is a low-density high volume food. Meaning that it feels like you’re eating a lot more than you are. I would definitely suggest spending the few cents extra to get the single serving bag as it is an easy way to have your portioning done for you.
5/6. Carbmaster milk/yogurt
- This is another one of those things that I’ve shown to coworkers and got them on the bandwagon too! The Carbmaster Milk tastes like melted ice cream 🍦. It’s THAT rich and creamy tasting! It’s also lactose free for all my lactose intolerant peeps out there like me. I’m a vanilla ice cream person so the Vanilla flavor is my favorite, but you also can’t go wrong with Chocolate. A cup of this milk has at least 11g of protein, 3g of sugar and only 60 calories! Can I get a Hallelujah?! 🎉
- Carbmaster also has yogurt, which is also high protein, low calorie, low sugar and lactose free. I personally like the White Chocolate Raspberry or Key Lime flavor. They do have a little bit of a sweet taste to them though so they aren’t for everyone.
7. Greek yogurt
- There are soooo many yogurts out there it can be hard to know which one to choose. A nutritionist once told me to always buy the plain yogurt and then sweeten it with honey or fruit myself. Lots of people think that yogurt is healthy but it can be full of tons of sugar! I’ve seen one with almost as much as a serving of ice cream! Yikes! Oikos plain yogurt has the best nutrition I’ve found and it’s usually only a dollar. It’s 80 calories, 15g of protein and 6g of sugar.
- How I make mine: I mix a little bit of peanut butter and cinnamon into my yogurt, cut up some bananas and voila! Peanut-butter-yogurt-banana-goodness.
8. Optimum Nutrition Cake Bites
- Last but certainly not least are these babies! I couldn’t make it through this post without at least one protein bar…well these aren’t really a bar but they are pre-packaged protein. Much like yogurt, protein bars can be filled with hidden sugar (just a tip when buying: I always try to find one with more grams of protein than sugar). These cake bites have 20g of protein and 3g of sugar, and they actually taste like cake bites! They’re a great post-lunch or dinner snack when you really want something sweet but don’t want to ruin your good eating habits! I like the Birthday Cake 🎂 flavor but I’ve also had the Red Velvet and enjoyed that as well. They just added some new flavors so I’m excited to try them. I think one is Chocolate Covered Donut 🍩😱!
- These can be on the pricier side so I would definitely suggest buying them in bulk once you find which flavor you like. I save some extra money on them by subscribing to websites like GNC, Complete Nutrition and Muscle and Strength and waiting for a coupon.
And that’s it! I know that was probably information overload but these are some staples I’ve been meaning to share for a while! I am in no way a Nutritionist; I’ve just found that these are what work best for me. After years of being a college athlete and now working long hours, I know how important snacks are not only for you but also for the sake of the people around you! 😂
I hope you try some of these out and enjoy them as much as I do! I’m also always on the lookout for easy, yummy snacks so please feel free to share!
Xoxo, the blonde